Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Never Forget.

Has it really been twelve years? Twelve whole years since that tragic day when hatred shook the world? It doesn't feel real, that had to be in another lifetime. I have to keep a box of tissues close as I sit listening to the 9/11 tribute as I go about my normal work day. But I know this is no normal work day. And maybe that's what makes me the most sad- that everyone around me goes about this day just like any other- but don't they realize what today is?? Don't they know that 12 years ago 2,977 people died in attacks against our nation? My heart is so sad today.

This day twelve years ago at this time I was sitting in my 5th grade English class, it was just a typical Tuesday. That is until so many of my classmates were getting called down to the main office because their parents were there to pick them up. I never thought that something tragic had happened, in my simple 10 year old mind I was just jealous that my mom hadn't picked me up yet. The teachers didn't tell us what happened...many other teachers were walking in and out of my classroom and they spoke in hushed whispers to each other. My teacher, to answer all of our questions, said that there had been an accident in NYC-I think she told us that there was a train crash-maybe that's what she thought-maybe she was just trying to shield us. I got really scared and wanted my mom to come get me so badly now, more than just wanting to get out of class.

Eventually my mom picked me and my siblings up and she was so distraught and the tears never stopped rolling. She sat us all very solemnly in the car and told us that something terrible had happened in New York. She said a lot of people had died. She didn't say much though because she was too overcome. When we got home we all just stood in shock in front of the tv as we saw the first tower burning, then gasped in horror as we saw the second plane hit. We did not move from that spot for a very long time, just holding onto one another. I just didn't understand why someone would do something like that, and frankly, I still don't.

My dad, being the heroic firefighter that he is, wanted to go up there and serve with his brothers in uniform, but my mom wouldn't let him go because she was worried about his safety. Maybe she was inspired to do so because now so many volunteers are getting sick from breathing the harmful toxins from ground zero. I know that my father still would've gone even if he knew he would be sick though. He has a heroes heart.

I will never forget that morning all those years ago, or the patriotism that so strongly followed as we came together as a nation to heal. I am so grateful to be an American. And I think after 9/11 we all are a little more proud. I love this nation. Let us never forget what makes this nation so great- the hearts of all the heroes and the hope we all have for peace and justice.

God bless America.

"Where were you when the world stopped turin'
On that September day?"

No comments:

Post a Comment