Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Weekend happenings...

Well this last weekend was a great one, even though I didn't think it would be so great going into it. Friday night Tim and I enjoyed some relaxing time at home together after a very busy week. We went to Blanco Cafe, a little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant and then we spent the rest of the night just cuddling and catching up on our favorite tv shows we'd been waiting to watch all week. A few of our favorites are parks and rec, sleepy hollow, bones (although not as good as it was), once upon a time (although again, not so good anymore) and we're still catching up with the office and new girl. We're really excited for white collar to start this week too. We lead a really exciting life haha. We only use netflix and hulu on our roku and I like not having cable actually. It makes our tv watching have a purpose and I want to continue that in the future (even if we could afford cable one day).

Saturday I had to work for 6 hours outside at a health fair and I didn't get compensated at all for it. Thus why I didn't think this weekend would be too exciting. But it actually wasn't too bad (I'm so grateful to actually have a job!) and I discovered my love for zumba there! If anyone knows of a class/wants to do it with me let me know!

Right after my health fair I met up with the optometry wives for a baby shower for Seraph! I am so happy for her and Shawn to add baby #3 to their family! She's a great mom. I love the optometry family that we have here in San Antonio! It was so fun to spend time with them!

The cute mama!


I love these ladies! They're so great!
You have to have a silly picture, right?
There's a baby in there that's gonna wear that outfit one day! Crazy!
The talented Carson and Heidi made that blanket, matching burp cloths, and a diaper kit for Seraph! Beautiful!
Optometry baby shower tradition! Eye chart decorations. 

After the shower I went home and watched the first bit of the BYU football game with Tim then headed out with a good friend to go to the baptism of a sweet lady and her two sons at my church! I absolutely just loved to see the pure joy on their faces as they made this new commitment to God. I am so grateful to be a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. There is so much peace and joy that comes from knowing God's plan for me and of His love, and it has blessed my life so much. I just want to shout it to the world! It's the best. You can check it out here.

Sunday I gave a talk at church (during sacrament meeting, the first of 3, 1-hr meetings we have each Sunday). I really love this opportunity we all have so we can learn from each other and grow together. I was asked to speak about "Becoming more Christ-like" and one of my favorite quotes that I used is, "Love the feeling is the fruit of love the verb." I think it's very true that when we act in faith, even if we might not feel it yet, the feelings will come. And I think that goes for any Christ-like attribute, patience, meekness, kindness, forgiveness, and so on. And my new favorite scripture is Omni 1:26, "And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should acome unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and boffer your whole souls as an coffering unto him, and continue in dfasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved." I love the idea of giving our whole souls over to Christ to shape and mold.

After Church Tim and I put some chili in the crock pot for dinner, then we watched "The Nightmare Before Christmas"...still not so sure about that one ha, but we love Halloween so it was fun getting into the festive spirit! We also picked up the wonderful Giffhorns from the airport and jealously listened about their trip to San Diego as we scarfed down chili and cornbread (perfect for the rainy day!) We love hangin' out with those guys. We played Settlers' of Catan...and will need a rematch soon.

In case you're interested...here is the delicious Lion House Chili Recipe. We followed it pretty closely...except didn't have tomato juice and we used ground turkey instead and it turned out great! We also browned the meat and onions and peppers then just threw it all in the crock pot for a couple hours and it turned out so delish. And here is the most moist and delicious Homemade Cornbread Recipe! Perfect for a chilly fall day! :)

This weekend I also finished reading, "Heaven is Here" by Stephanie Nielson. It's the story told by Stephanie of the terrible plane crash she and her husband were in where they were both severely burned and their good friend was killed. It is a story of despair, faith, triumph, hope, and love (for family, friends, and self). You should read it, I was so inspired!


2 comments:

  1. The shower was so fun! I wish I could have stayed longer! Such cute girls. :) I'm glad the Giffhorns are back! So excited to read that book. She is so incredible. Thank you for sharing your powerful testimony... It just shines through you because of who you are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you came Rachel, it was so fun! Did you still want to borrow the book??

    ReplyDelete