Here is a little recap from that glorious weekend....
Friday Tim and I drove up after we got off work and school (I actually got off a little before him so I got together with my good friends Kaylee and Allison and we had a lovely little lunch of strawberry spinach salad and panninis-yum!) It took us 2 1/2 hours to get to Austin...but it was worth it because when we walked into the hotel and talked to the front desk my sweet Kristi Kay came running down the hallway and we had the most wonderful embrace! Ah, sweet reunion! We got to catch up with them for an hour before they had to head out to a group dinner with Michael's interviewers.
| We stopped at Buc-ee's of course for some hotel room treats! |
| So happy to be reunited again!!! |
Man, I did not want them to leave-but it had to happen so Tim and I went down to SoCo (we're so hip) while they were away. We got the famous Monte Cristo sandwich at the Hey!...You gonna eat or what? truck. It was perfectly crisp and juicy at the same time-and with the homemade cherry fig dipping sause it was divine. Plus the homemade fry/chips were incredible. We loved it. And we loved that the chef came out and talked with us. We also made a little stop at Hey Cupcake!.....again from our last Austin trip. Austin was also having a big brass band competition that night so we loved watching all the funky styles people uh sported on a Friday night. There were some pretty free spirited people (and I absolutely loved it.) Tim was a little more weirded out-but hey!-keep Austin weird!
When we all got back to the hotel Michael and Kristi taught us how to play hearts and we played and chatted all night long :) With mention of how we want to start our very own Camp Cousin one day (Kristi's family tradition)...but we won't call our kids cousins so they can get married. :) It's gonna be awesome.
| The breakfast club |
Saturday was our adventure day. We got up (a little too) early, had breakfast, and went downtown to explore. We walked around the Lady Bird Lake (I'm so jealous we don't have one of those here in San Antone) and Kristi and I joyously linked arms as we strolled. I missed her so much.
Loves.
| Bat bridge...obvi. |
Then we hit up SoCo again for lunch and went to Homeslice and got a whole incredibly delicious pie to share....and then we just had to get a cupcake next door (duh)...and Tim and I gluttonously shrugged our shoulders and complied. We also browsed some pretty funky stores, and found old junk people were selling for way too much. Oh vintage.
Then we saw this guy performing.....who reminded me of Bert from Mary Poppins.
------>
"One Man Band"
And since we got up a little too early that day we decided to head back to the hotel to refuel our energy a little bit. Did we take naps? I can't remember. We probably lazed around for a bit then played more hearts and ate Muddy Buddies and taffy and made our game plan for the rest of the day.
| Tim and I were cheap and got the room with 2 beds instead of 1....but it was perfect for game playing!! |
By now we were getting pretty hungry so we went to our favorite bbq place, Rudy's, for dinner. This was Michael and Kristi's 2nd time there this trip actually haha. When you find something you like-stick with it! I'm not the biggest fan of Texas bbq-but I can find something I like at Rudy's!
After dinner we sat in the car and deliberated on what we were going do next for way too long. Kristi and I had to be the decision makers here and said we were going to play mini golf. We went to this hyped-up Peter Pan place...but it was way too tiny and way too crowded. So we went to Main Event and played glow-in-the-dark Mini golf. It was pretty crowded there too, but we still had a good time. Tim beat us!
| Sadly our only group picture! |
Hole in 1 poses!
After golf we decided we definitely needed some Bluebell. So we decided to get a whole 1/2 gallon to share... :)
Step 1: Go to HEB and buy a 1/2 gallon of mint cookies and creme bluebell with your best friends.
Step2: Take a funny picture because you are freaking out that you are about to be so gluttonous.
Step 3: Four friends, four spoons, 1 tub of bluebell.
Step 4: Feel completely happy....or maybe worried you all just downed that whole thing in like 15 minutes...
After ice cream we played more games, made life plans together, watching silly youtube videos, planned our future vacations,and gushed how we can't wait for the other girls to get home from their missions so we can all be reunited and go on cruises together! Kristi and Michael were dying to introduce us to Dr. Who-and not just any doctor-the 11th doctor (season 5)-because he is the best...and around midnight they finally did....except not all of us made it....
Sunday morning we got up and had breakfast together. After breakfast we lazed around and played some more games and with October Sky on the tv in the back. Kristi was determined to find us a Bluebonnet field to take pictures in (she's a true Texas girl and couldn't pass up that opportunity!). And when Kristi puts her mind to something you know it's gonna happen.
Man, that week was such a dream. We had so much fun even just sitting around a talking for hours and hours. We love these guys so much. I'm so grateful that Kristi married such an awesome guy so that we are all best friends. I can't wait to be neighbors for real one day ;) We look forward to the many adventures in store for us and our favorite McCains.
Sure, I'm a little biased, but this is the HAPPIEST BLOG POST EVER!! :) That was indeed the most glorious weekend. I love all the pictures and am so glad you posted them! The How to Be Completely Happy part is hilarious and also SO TRUE. We were so worried about having ice so the ice cream wouldn't melt ... silly us! It wouldn't be around nearly long enough to melt, DUH. And I love that bluebonnet pic of us :))) You're the most wonderful friend, Nikki. I love you so much!!
ReplyDeleteI love you so much Kristi!!!! So. so. much. I'm so grateful we were able to take that special trip together! It was the BEST...and I'm excited for all the trips to come too :) I want to see the pics you guys took from the trip!
DeleteHi - this is Kelli (Kristi's Mom). What fun y'all must have had! I am disturbed that I have never tried Mint Cookies and Cream flavor. Why have I never seen that? Is it a regional thing or something? Anyway, I love that you two have talked about doing Camp Cousin together. Sweet! Have you ever tried Dickey's for BBQ? That is what we had for the McCain wedding. Thanks for being such a special friend to Kristi.
ReplyDeleteMama Smith-oh my goodness-I about died when I read how "disturbed" you were because you never had the Mint Cookies and Cream flavor haha! Y'all need to try it. Like, right now. Although it may be out of season now....so next year! And you know what-we haven't been to Dickey's-but it was sooo good at the wedding. We'll have to go there next time we're craving bbq! Thanks for having such a wonderful daughter that is my best friend :)
DeleteI have looked for that flavor and it is nowhere to be found. Must be a Hill Country exclusive :(
ReplyDeleteOh sad! :/ I think maybe they might be transitioning it out right now since it is a seasonal flavor. Next time we go to Houston we'll bring some with us! :)
DeleteOr maybe ya'll just need to come up here to visit!
Delete