The drive out of the city was so beautiful. So many vibrant wildflowers donned the sides of the highway, and the sun was shining, and we had the windows down loving the warm breeze. Ah, that was so perfect. We needed a break from the city hussle and bussle.
We got up to the campsite around 6:30 and most families were already there. I heard there were about 60 people in our group up there! That was so fun. We shared our site with our good friends the Thomas'. For dinner Tim made us delicious (and massive) tin foil veggie dinners and Jeff and Allison brought some hot dogs too. Allison was so funny and made sure to get a store brand hot dog and a name brand hot dog so she could do some comparison. What was the winner Allison?
| The men tending the fire. |
| Bet you couldn't tell she's 4 months pregnant! |
| The whole gang :) |
After Allison and Jeff and Rees left we visited some other campfires to share camping treats. Our friends the Coons made a delicious peach cobbler and we brought stuff to make camping churros....but they didn't really turn out. I think we need to invest in some dowels so it'd work better next time.
| Sooo yummmmmmyyyyyy |
We probably kept Isla up too late as we sat around our friend's fire talking....she fell asleep in her chair (sorry Allison!)....so we went to bed after that. Isla was so exhausted, and we were pretty tired too. We put her to bed in the tent, I'm pretty sure I wrapped her up in about 5 blankets because I was afraid she'd get cold. Tim and I sat around our fire for a little bit longer just enjoying the cool night, but soon decided to head to bed too. I'm pretty sure I never slept that night. I was stuck in the middle of two terrible snorers! Man, Isla, wow. haha. I also had this irrational fear that Isla would stop breathing in the middle of the night because I put too many blankets on her so I kept checking every so often. (I am never going to sleep as a mother.)
The next morning Allison came back and we helped put up all her camping gear and we told her Isla could stay with us the rest of the day so she could do the kids Easter egg hunt and go to the river with us, so Allison could go back to the hospital with Rees. The whole camping group also did a big breakfast together-it was delicious!
The river was fun. Tim and I got to kayak and Isla loved playing in the shallow water, but it was a little too chilly for swimming for me. On the way home Isla passed out in the back seat. Then when we got home Tim and I passed out (after a good shower) in the living room.
Easter Sunday we had a wonderful program at church. Then we had some friends over for dinner (I wish I got a picture!) The Robertsons, Mulders, and Jeff and Isla shared the holiday with us and we had a feast! We had a balsamic-honey glazed pulled pork, funeral potatoes, frog-eyed salad, strawberry spinach salad, sweet carrots, rolls, and some delicious ice cream for dessert. We're so grateful for friends who have become like family here in San Antonio!
I'm also so grateful for my Savior who lifts me up and restores my soul. When I think about my Savior I often think of this story that President Hinckley shared:
There was a one room school house in the mountains of Virginia where the boys were so rough no teacher had been able to handle them. Then one day an inexperienced young teacher applied. He was told that every teacher had received an awful beating, but the teacher accepted the risk. The first day of school the teacher asked the boys to establish their own rules and the penalty for breaking the rules. The class came up with 10 rules, which were written on the blackboard. Then the teacher asked, "What shall we do with one who breaks the rules?"
“Beat him across the back ten times without his coat on," came the response.
A day or so later, the lunch of a big student, named Tom, was stolen. The thief was located—a little hungry fellow, about ten years old.
As Little Jim came up to take his licking, he pleaded to keep his coat on. "Take your coat off," the teacher said. "You helped make the rules!"
The boy took off the coat. He had no shirt and revealed a bony little crippled body. As the teacher hesitated with the rod, Big Tom jumped to his feet and volunteered to take the boy’s licking.
“Very well, there is a certain law that one can become a substitute for another. Are you all agreed?" the teacher asked.
After five strokes across Tom’s back, the rod broke. The class was sobbing. Little Jim had reached up and caught Tom with both arms around his neck. “Tom, I’m sorry that I stole your lunch, but I was awful hungry. Tom, I will love you till I die for taking my licking for me! Yes, I will love you forever!”
I am so joyously grateful for Jesus Christ who took my "licking" for me, especially when I don't feel worthy of that gracious act. I indeed will love Him forever!I also think of one of my favorite songs, "Whole Again." Listen to it!
I come before the throne of God
My kneeling soul is filled with wond’ring awe
As the Savior’s tender mercy
heals the wounds of all my sin
I praise the love
that makes me whole again
I come in hope; I come in faith
To feel the touch of His redeeming grace
As I offer him my broken heart
He heals the hurt within
And I praise the love
that makes me whole again
Alleluia! my healing spirit cries
As He reaches out his hand to bid me rise
Alleluia! praise the Healer of all men
Who makes me more than what I was
And sees beyond what I am
And when I fall He lifts me up
Restores my soul, removes my bitter cup
For He heals my every heartache,
and He carries all my pain
And I praise the love
that makes me whole again
Thank you fr sharing this. The trip looks soo fun! Still not sure why we didn't go... :/ next year for sure!!! Thank you even more for sharing that beautiful tribute to the Savior. It's sad that he is often forgotten in the business of Easter consumerism. :( thank you for helpng us remember, not only in this post, but in the light of Christ that shines so brightly from you!
ReplyDeleteThank you Rachael :) you're the sweetest. It's the little things that help us remember Him. I wish you guys could have come too! Next time for sure. And when are we going to do our camp on the beach trip?? :)
DeleteI stole some of your pictures. I didn't any from the camping time.
ReplyDeleteThe hot dogs didn't taste the same but I don't know if one was better than the other, or just different.
I don't care at all that Isla fell asleep in the chair. We appreciate your help SO MUCH!!! We owe you.
Steal away! I've actually been meaning to email them all to you-glad you got them. I'll check to see if I have any more of Isla. And stop joking about "owing" us. No way Jose! We love you guys!
Delete