Sunday, August 2, 2015

4th of July!

The 4th of July is my favorite holiday. It's all about good food, good friends, playing outside, and of course, America. I love ALL those things!!! Plus, unlike some other holidays, there are no obligations or pressures to do certain things. It's the best.

This year we invited some friends to join us in a little adventure to the San Marcos River for this small Texas towns' 4th celebration. I'm so glad we went. It was such a good time. Most of us got up there around 3, and after a little difficulty finding each other in the big park, we set up our perfect little spot under a beautiful shade tree, just steps from the river. Like I said-perfect. We hooked up Odie to the tree and we grilled some hot dogs and ate lots of watermelon. We all kind of rotated swimming in the river, which was absolutely beautiful and so refreshing. (I was determined to do something involving water this weekend!)

Tim and I tried swimming with Odie, and it was really fun to watch him swim, but as we went down stream he got really nervous that we were separated (and I may or may not have been yelping every time the long seaweed touched me (ewwwww)) so we both got scratched up pretty good from Odie trying to "save us." We also crossed the bridge over to the festival side and I enjoyed listening to the band play and seeing this small-town-Texas community celebrate. I love the quaintness of a small town.

Later in the evening we watched the firework show on the grass, and it was one of those moments where my heart was bursting with so much gratitude and joy as I sat hand in hand with my love. I am so grateful for this wonderful nation I call home, even though it may not be changing for the better, it is still better than most places. I am so grateful for my sweet, goofy Timmy. I am so grateful for this little babe growing inside of me.  I am so grateful for wonderful friends here in Texas that have been like family to us, and for wonderful friends all over the country. I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who knows my heart. And any day that makes me remember all of these wonderful things is a great day :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so grateful for YOU, Nikki! And for Timmy and this BABY!! Your Fourth sounds amazing :) The fireworks, the river, the wuddermelon ... Odie trying to save you :) What a sweet pup. Maybe one day we'll be close enough to come together and celebrate this great nation's birthday together. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete