Monday, November 16, 2015

Welcome to the world sweet baby boy!

Our precious son joined our family Tuesday, October 20th, 2015 at 2:38 pm. The happiest moment of my life. It is difficult to put that perfect day into words, so I will use a lot of pictures :)

So we did everything we could to get this baby to come before having to be induced, (my blood pressure was a little high and my Dr. wanted to play it safe), but he was just too comfortable-and stubborn. So Tuesday October 20th at 6:00 (ok 6:15) am we checked ourselves into the hospital to have this baby! It was so surreal getting in to our car and walking in...knowing we'd be coming out with a BABY. 
Pitocin was started at 7:35am to get things going. I was 4 cm dilated and 75% effaced when they first checked me, so we were hoping things would progress quickly. At 8:45 am Dr. Haun came in and asked if I wanted my water broken, and was like oh yeah, let's get this baby here already! We were feeling super good. We were texting our family and friends to let them know of the impending arrival, and also trying to wrap our heads around the fact that we were going to meet our baby so soon!
Then things got real. haha. I was hooked up the the iv and monitors, but I was still able to walk around, which was really nice. So I swayed to the music (we brought our speakers so we had Mumford and Sons Pandora station playing) and eventually sat on the bouncy ball to work through the contractions. 
^Not feeling so hot here, haha. Also, it was FREEZING in the labor room...but I was afraid of turning the thermostat up because the nurses said it would get really warm...so I just bundled up. 
^All I wanted with each contraction was to bury my head into Tim's stomach and hold onto to his belt loops. He was so sweet and gentle and lovingly held me... and stopped talking immediately when I "shh-ed" him, haha. Mom got to the hospital around this time.

Then at about 12:30 pm the nurses told me the anesthesiologist would be in c-sections the rest of the afternoon...so if I wanted an epidural now was the time. So I said, "Yes please." Getting the epidural was the most painful part of the entire day, but then afterwards it was smoooooooth sailing. Right after, they checked me and I was 8 cm dilated, 100% effaced, and at a +1 station. The nurses were shocked and told me the baby would be there in no time.  
^Last belly shot
^So glad my mom could be in the delivery with us. She was so helpful and loving, and still made it special for Tim and I too.
^I love my doctor!! She was there with us through fertility treatments, and promised she would help me become a mom one day. So grateful she got to be there that day!

At 2:15pm we started pushing (and I didn't feel anything. Tim was confused why I was smiling instead of screaming in pain...bless you epidural!). I had to wear that silly oxygen mask for a little bit because the baby's heart beat was dropping with each contraction (because he was so low). I was so grateful for this wonderful partner of mine who was so sweet and encouraging throughout the entire birth. I have never loved him more!

At 2:38pm our sweet baby boy was born! The feeling of becoming a mother and welcoming this  purely perfect spirit into our family is indescribable. It is like I was transported to a celestial realm for the moment. It was pure joy.

For the first hour and a half after he was born, Henry did not leave my chest (except when Daddy and Grammie held him). I was so grateful he was healthy enough to have that time to bond with us, and that the procedures that could wait waited. His apgar scores were 9 and 9 (out of 10) and he started breastfeeding right away. (He also started peeing/pooping right away too...right on me, but in that moment you just don't even care, haha.) He was so awake and alert and looked us right in eye. We were in heaven. 
 ^When I handed Henry over to his Papa for the first time he started crying...but as soon as Tim started talking to him he immediately stopped and just stared and stared at his Daddy. I felt so bad because I was so just in a different world after Henry was born...that I didn't even notice that Tim didn't get to hold his son for a little bit...he had to ask me, "Uh, Nikki, can I hold the baby?" 


Then after our hour/hour and a half was up the pediatrician staff came back to do all of Henry's measurements and to clean him up a bit. 


Then we headed up to our room for the next few days. 
 ^Couldn't stop starting at him! (and still can't).

Mom came up to the room with us, but went back home soon after to relieve Natalie of watching Mason. She came back later that evening though to visit again. Tim and I got to order the special "Stork Dinner"...steak, potatoes, vegetables, salad. fruit, soup, coke, roll, and cake. No food has ever tasted better in my entire life. Mom also brought us some Chick Fil A milkshakes that evening, which were heavenly. We also loved sharing pictures of Henry with our family and friends. Everyone's excitement and love made us so happy!
 
^Seriously, we couldn't stop staring at him. Unbelievable!

We are so grateful everything went as smoothly as it did. We truly feel so blessed and lucky. So Happy Birthday Henry Martin, we are so glad you were born. We couldn't imagine life without you, our sweet angel baby. 





(More hospital pictures to come!!) 

6 comments:

  1. Yayyy!!!! I love literally every single thing about this post. You documented everything so beautifully, in words and in pictures. (I think getting the camera was a great call--your photos are awesome!!) Timmy's lounging face cracks me up haha. I love the photo of you burying your head in Timmy, as that's exactly what I was doing. The photo right after you mention apgar scores melts my heart. And the one with Henry holding Timmy’s finger gets me every time. And look at those scrunchy feet! And creamy skin! And fuzzy hair! He is seriously perfect. What a precious, precious day <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dearest Kristi! I'm so glad my mom was able to capture a lot of these memories. I want to remember it all!! I'm so worried about forgetting!

      Delete
  2. I'm crying so bad right now and I couldn't even read through the whole thing!! Oh Nikki and Tim. I love you and am so grateful I've been able to be a part of this beautiful journey! He is perfect and thank you for sharing him with us so much!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you sweet Rachael!!! I am so grateful you have been able to be a part of this journey too! Where would we be without you!? Love you!

      Delete
  3. Your baby boy is absolutely precious! How happy we are for you and Tim! I love all the "family" photos of the three of you. I know you have been falling in love with Henry from day one. Isn't it such a miracle how much you can love that baby? I remember what a huge surprise that was for me. I thought I knew what love was, until I felt the love I had for my new babies. You had a priceless birth experience here. Thanks for sharing with us all! Now be patient with the newborn phase because it can be extremely exhausting (and last a long time!). Henry must be such a special spirit to be sent to you and Tim. (I also noticed you called your mom Grammie - is that right? That is the first "grandma" name I have been recently called by Jamie's boy, and I kind of like it, so it may stick for me, too!) Love ya, Kelli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelli! It really is incredible how much I love this little man. My love for him feels so pure and perfect and endless. I'm trying to savor every last bit of this newborn phase that I can! It is going by too quick! Love ya!

      Delete