Monday, December 7, 2015

One month of Henry

*(written 11/20/15)


This kid, I tell ya. He's some kind of wonderful. Can't believe he's been ours for a month already! (And still in awe that we get to keep him.) These past four weeks have been a whirlwind of snuggling, rocking, lullabying, kissing, story book reading, fawning over, diapering, and feeding our sweet little boy. He's pretty amazing.

At his one month appointment he weighed 10 lbs and was 21.5 inches long. So he gained 3 lbs in 3 weeks- not too shabby! He eats about every 2-3 hours...so no wonder. He really is such an angel. He takes a pacifier (the big fat green ones the hospital gives you), falls asleep for naps and bedtime if we just place him in his bassinet no problem, and is mostly content all day. We feel really lucky to have such a happy and easygoing baby.

Things I want to remember about this stage:
-The way he smacks his lips after eating
-How he sighs and laughs in his sleep
-His immediate back-arching streeeeeeeeetch after unswaddling him
-Forhead wrinkles, pursed lips, and balled up fists as he stretches after eating

-Milk drunk
 
-The "o" lips signaling poop time

-The way he feels all curled up and snuggled on my chest as he sleeps


-How we affectionately refer to him as our big bowl of jello
-Baby hiccups
-The way he bobs his head and kind of growls when he's reallllllly hungry and starting to eat
-The way Odie keeps watch over him

-His whole face smiles! He started smiling right on the 1 month dot and it has been the. best. ever. Is anything more rewarding than baby smiles? He most generous with his smiles right after eating or right after a good diaper change

-His little rolls that are starting to form on his thighs and arms
-Reading stories to him in bed, and he intently listens
 
-How much he loves bathtime--even if he is crying the minute before he'll calm down as soon as he's in the water

-The way he gets startled and flails his arms (like when I sneeze or Odie barks)
-Giving him funny hairstyles...Dwight anyone?

-Keeping him bundled up in the baby carrier as we go on outings...and he is my little heater box



TIM
One of the most amazing experiences of having Henry has been watching Timmy become a daddy. He is so loving and so attentive to Henry. He wakes up with him through the night and changes all the diapers and passes him over to me so I can feed him. Some nights when I've done that without his help he was disappointed the next day because he didn't get to, and he makes sure I wake him up the next night to do it. He told me, "Nikki, that is my special time with Henry, please let me do it." Ok, ok, sheesh, if you insist. haha. I love that. Also every day when he gets home from work he gives us both a kiss, then takes Henry upstairs with him as he gets changed because he missed him so much. And when he comes home for lunch on occasion, he begs me to let him hold Henry while he's sleeping. He reads to us most nights in bed, either before or while I feed Henry. We are reading the first LOTR book together, but sometimes we'll just do one of Henry's story books. I really enjoy listening to Tim read...I just wish he could make it through more than 5 pages before he conks out ;) 

Tim is in the middle of his 2nd externship rotation, and he's currently working in the clinic down the street from our house. That has been really nice. He also completed all of his residency applications! I'm so proud of all the hard work he has done to accomplish that. He applied to programs in Walla Walla Washington, Salt Lake City Utah, Denver Colorado, Madison Wisconsin, and Columbus Ohio. We'll find out where we go this March! Can't wait. He has also been studying for Boards part II. We are so ready for all these tests to be done with for good! He does make a good effort to spend quality time with Henry and I every night (even with working all day and studying), and I really appreciate that.

NIKKI
I have been trying to savor every single minute of my precious newborn. I know this stage won't last long, and that makes me sad. So I am ok if the only thing I've accomplished for the day is feeding, changing, and cuddling my baby. "Babies don't keep." I think that is some of the best advice I received. Nothing has ever felt as natural and comfortable for me as has the role of mother.

I just gave my two weeks notice at work, which has been pretty great. I recognize not everyone who would like to has the opportunity to stay home with their babies, so I am extra grateful that I am able to. I was really nervous to tell my boss my decision, but he was so kind and understanding about it. I am so grateful for the time that I was able to work for the City of San Antonio's health department, both in the Immunizations division and as an Epidemiologist. But now I am really excited to learn and grow in my new job as mom.

I have mostly been staying home figuring out how to be a mom, but I have also made it to mom's group and walking group a few times with the other amazing moms in my ward. They were so sweet and excited when I joined them for the first time with my very own baby. I gotta admit, it's pretty cool. I feel so lucky to be in a place where there are so many amazing women who I get to learn from and lean on for support. I have also made a more committed effort to study the scriptures every day and that has really enriched my life. I try to read at least one conference talk while breast-feeding Henry, and also read a chapter in the Book of Mormon, with specific emphasis to study Christ-like attributes. I definitely feel more at peace and happy when I make time everyday to draw closer to the Savior.

Over the past month we've also gone to the Diwali Festival as a family, celebrated Halloween at the McLemore's house with lots of friends, visited Tim at work, had Allison and her kiddos come visit, gone on lots of walks around our neighborhood, had our friend Kaylee (and Emmeline) come visit, game nights at the Mulders', and I got to do a little girl's weekend in Austin with some of my very best friends here and it has all been a blast.
 


P.S.
Adorable pictures of his first Sunday at church...


2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh!! Henry Martin has the teeeeeensiest little arms and legs, and a giant bellybutton haha! I LOVE that. What a precious miracle baby. Seriously, enjoy the automatic sleeping ;) (He’s probably being so good because he wants a sibling sooner rather than later, eh? eh?) Oh my goodness gracious he makes the cutest little sounds as he sleeps! Back arching stretches are my favorite too. bahaha you call him jello?? That’s hilarious. The paragraph about Tim begging to hold Henry is the absolute sweetest. Way to go Tim for helping out at night!! “Nothing has ever felt as natural and comfortable for me as has the role of mother.” — This makes me so happy :)) and I have no doubt that it's true. You are an amazing mother, and I loved every bit of this update! All of your pictures are just amazing. You are such a beautiful family <3 It makes me so deliriously happy, I can’t even say!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does have a GIANT belly button...I'm a little worried about that, haha. And I really am trying to savor this automatic sleeping as much as possible!! Seriously, if every baby were as good as this kid I'm ready for the next lol. Thank you for loving us and supporting us and making me so happy! A true friend is one who shares your joys!

      Delete