Friday, October 14, 2016

June 2016 - Henry 8 months

We spent our last few days in San Antonio sleeping over at the Mulder's house. It was wonderful! These friends have been our family here, as evident in their kindness in taking us in after our home was all packed up. Henry loves Jude and Abe, and I think they like him a little bit too. We will miss seeing them almost everyday, watching football games, eating treats, talking about everything, dreaming about our futures, going on adventuress, game nights, and hanging on the grass together. So sad to be missing the birth of the twins too. But I want to come back to visit!
  
  
Moving day (June 1st):
   
Well, this day was difficult, but with as much sadness that accompanied the move, there was also a little excitement for what laid ahead. My dear friend Allison came to say one final goodbye (break my heart) and she dropped off a little care-package for the road-trip. That is one thing I love most about Allison-she is so thoughtful. She gave us those squeezy packets for Henry---and I think he's a little obsessed with them now. I will miss her, and being able to talk and discuss things in person with her so much.

Rachael, Jude, and Abe waved us off as we pulled out of Turtle Creek. I was sobbing by the time we got to the gate. The transition between chapters of life is so hard. I will cherish our memories in San Antonio forever!

The drive went pretty well, except for the fact that Henry decided to (finally) grow his two bottom teeth during the long car rides--so he wasn't a happy camper. Odie rode in the front seat of the moving truck with Tim. Tim and I both listened to the same podcast (Serial and some This American Life), so it was fun to discuss our opinions at pit stops and at the hotel. We stayed one night in Louisiana, and the second in Atlanta.

New apartment:
 
 We moved in on Friday, June 3rd, with the help of two Elders from the church (they rode their bikes 10 miles to our house to help which we felt terribly guilty about.) Henry slept in the closet on the floor as we got everything moved into the house. I was happily surprised with the apartment. It's nothing too special, but it will be a nice little home for us while we're here.

HENRY

  
  
-Starting to scoot/army crawl/zombie crawl!!
-He is so fun! He is starting to "play" with us.
-Current favorite food= peaches. obsessed!! 
-Two bottom teeth
-Still saying Dada, no Mama
-He sleeps like this:
-And nurses like this:
-His hair is getting long!

 (This is after a sweaty hike.)


Tim didn't have to start work until July 1st, so we've had lots and lots of family time, which has been a dream. We've been able to explore a few different state parks, go to the zoo/Ikea/shopping/swimming, and it's been nice to have him home while we get settled.

Here are some fun things we did!
 

Fishing on the lake. I tried reading peacefully with Henry on a blanket, and Odie tied to a tree, while Tim went off fishing....ha! ha! ha! 
Lots of swimming at our new pool! So grateful for it with this Georgia heat. 
We spent a day going to Ikea (where I finally got my dreamed about succulent plants!!!!), and then exploring Decatur a little bit. In Decatur we stopped by a farmers market, where we tried lemon cucumbers, which I did not even know existed, but have been craving them ever since. We also meandered around some cute shops, and then got dinner at this burger place where we tried a burger with peach slices on it! Georgia loves its peaches. 
 
I didn't get any weird looks at all as I pushed my two boys around Target.....
  
We went to an outdoor movie showing of Indiana Jones...It was pretty hot and uncomfortable, but the line was drawn when the cockroaches started a mass exodus from the depths below the wooden slates we were sitting on. akldjflwerohvlknoawehobfnl. We decided movies are enjoyed much more from the comfort of our own home.
 
Tried out the Brooklyn Water Bagel Company, and as Henry's face could tell you, we weren't too impressed.

Lots of family hikes! Sweet Water Creek, East Palicades, and Kennesaw Mountain (a Civil War Battlefield). It is so unbelievably beautiful here. My soul sings as we wander through the woods.

Zoo! Georgia is pretty cool, and you can get free tickets to the zoo every year from the library. You can also get a state park pass from the library (that is good for a week).

This month we also celebrated Tim on his first official Father's Day. We made him breakfast, made a hand-print card, and cookies for dessert. Nothing brings me greater joy than to see Tim in the role of Father. He has so much love for his little boy, and wants the world for him. He wants to spend every moment with him, and gets so excited when he hears him cry in the morning because he can't wait to get him out of bed. This little boy is so lucky to have a Daddy who will be there for him in every way. I'm so glad to have him as my partner.

And here are a few videos from this month:




We went to Utah for a little over a week for Whittykins' wedding--bonus that family lives there and we got to spend some good time with them too. I cherish these times when all my Soul Sisters get together. We have one heart in five bodies! (I hope to have a full post dedicated to this!)

Books I read this month: Number the Stars- for my ward book club here in Atlanta. Reminded me of 6th grade a little...but still a good read about those incredibly brave people in Denmark during WWII. I also read "These is my Words," which is probably my new favorite book.

Neither of us are ready for Tim to start work.....why can't we just be independently wealthy and hang out all day every day!? If only....

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Nikki! I can only imagine how hard leaving San Antonio was for you :( You love your friends with all your heart, so it's painful to separate, even with all the fancy technology we have these days. I'm so glad you made such wonderful friends there. And you've already been back to visit so lookie there!! I have no doubt you'll find a way to stay close to those you love, no matter where they are -- it is a special strength of yours, and one I really admire.

    It's seriously adorable that you and Tim listened to the same podcasts while driving separate cars so you could discuss them later :) I love you guys!! The fishing and lake photos are gorgeous!!! I love the landscape shot with Tim, Henry and Odie. The cockroach story sounds a-w-f-u-l!!!!! Oh how I do NOT miss those!! Your library sounds like the coolest, activities AND free passes out the wazoo! I love your note about Father's Day and the videos of Tim playing with Henry. He really is such a good daddy. Henry's giggle is the sweetest thing in the world. Our reunion for Whitty's birthday was the BEST!! I think about it often and wish we could go back ... we'll have to get together again very soon. Love you!! and love these blog posts!!!!

    ReplyDelete