We left San Antonio at 8 am with empty tummies ready to experience what Austin had to offer-and let me tell you-they had a LOT to offer.
First stop (that wasn't really a food stop): Buc-ee's
This was Tim and my first visiting this iconic Texas mega-gas station (although that word does not give it justice). Buc-ee's has a lot going on- over 200 gas pumps, a whole wall with all the candy and jerky you could ever dream of, a deli, a mini grocery store, all the typical gas-station fixins, and a department store. It's pretty intense. Of course Tim and I had to leave with the amazingly delicious watermelon taffy. It's quite delightful.
Second stop: Juan in a Million
For breakfast we all split their "Don Juan" El Taco Grande. In their words, "A secret combination of potato, egg, bacon and cheese in a deliciously hot tortilla." Ya can't really beat that for $4.50. After wetting our appetites we were ready for more....
Third Stop: Round Rock Doughnuts
Man, I love me a good doughnut, and let me tell you-these were goooood. Like a fluffy cloud melting in your mouth good. I had a chocolate frosted and Tim had a blueberry. Both we incredible. If you are in Austin you must stop here. And the doughnuts were only $0.50 each!
![]() |
| Notice the GIANT doughnuts for sale! We planned on splitting one of those...but went with our better judgement against it. |
Forth Stop: The Noble Pig
Tim and I were fillin' up at this point but we still had one more stop before our break so we decided to split a 1/2 sandwich. Now, this place had a funky menu (you should click the link above to check it out.) I suppose they call themselves the Noble Pig because they make their own bacon in house which is pretty cool. And tasty. We went with the namesake sandwich which had spicy ham, pulled pork, provolone, a whole grain mustard sauce, and bacon on rye bread. Wowza. That was amazing. I don't even like ham and I loved that sandwich. I would also say that this place had the best customer service-the chef went to everyone's table to make sure they completely enjoyed their meal-and this place was packed. I really appreciated that. Oh Tim and I shared a chocolate bacon tart too-mm mm!
[FOOD BREAK] State Capital
With full bellies we made our way over to the (pink) State Capital Building for a tour. Texas has a lot of pride, that is for sure. It was a beautiful day to just walk around and learn more about this pretty cool state we get to live in. It's still kind of funny to think we live in Texas. Never thought we'd be here, but we are loving it.
Fifth Stop: Homeslice
I don't think I am very shy about my love (ok- obsession) with good pizza, which is why when we went to Homeslice and I discovered very Jersey-like pizza I was estatic. I just got classic cheese and I was very satisfied with the thin, crispy crust, then perfectly melted and seasoned cheese that pulled as I took a bit, and the ability to fold it in half. So good. I will definitely go back there when we return to Austin (because we are definitely going back).
Sixth Stop: Hey Cupcake
Divine. Decadent. Blissful. Heaven-sent. That's the only way I can think of describing that glorious cupcake. Ah, so good. Tim and I shared the red velvet with cream cheese frosting-and you have to do the shot of fresh whipped cream into the cupcake-like-it's a literal MUST.
Seventh Stop: Torchy's Tacos
I was pretty dang full at this point but that didn't stop us from continuing the voyage! (Well, actually it stopped me a little since I didn't get a taco....but I had a bit of Tim's!) Now this place doesn't feature your typical Mexican taco....they have a lot of unique and interesting flavors all help inside a tortilla. Tim was kind of boring and got "The Democrat" which consisted of shredded beef barbocoa, topped with avocado, queso fresco, cilantro, onions, and a wedge of lime. Pretty normal. JT got the 2-but the one that I think I would try next time would be "The Trailer Park." This place was pretty cool, lots of interesting options, but I wouldn't make this a mandatory stop.
Eighth Stop: Kerbey Lane Cafe
The only thing we got here was a queso platter and it was pretty good! I love queso. This queso was a little different though in that it had guacamole on the bottom and pico de gallo on top. I was a little dissappointed with the chips-homemade but baked-BAKED!? COME ON! REALLY!? WHO WANTS BAKED CHIPS WITH THEIR QUESO!? Well...I guess a lot of the ultra picky eaters of Austin do. At least we keep in real in San Antone! Like I said before, this place was good (all we had was the queso) but I wouldn't make it a mandatory stop.
Ninth Stop: Lick
Quite a delightful little organic/home-grown ice cream shop...with some very interesting flavors! You should check out their menu! I love ice cream, I'm a little obsessed in fact. This place was very fun (I wish I could've tried all the flavors!), but on the spendy side and small portion side. But I would go again!
[FOOD BREAK] Park for games
Boy did we need a food break. We found a park and some picnic tables and played some spicy farkel! I totally won, no big deal or anything.
Tenth and final Stop: The Salt Lick
To end the food extravaganza why not stop a place claiming to have the best bbq in Texas? They do an all-you-can-eat meat/sides thing but we were all too stuffed to do that. Tim and I just shared a small plate where you got to try a bunch of different meat. To be honest, I'm not the biggest Texas bbq fan *gasp!* I hate smoked meat, and that is the majority of what their bbq is. Bleh. It tastes like nail polish remover to me. Nasty. But I did love the ribs! Mm mm! The sides are pretty darn lame (plain vinegary coleslaw, simple potato salad, and plain beans). Not too impressive. But it had a fun atmosphere we really enjoyed. We probably would go back there...but I'd be ok if we didn't.
Such a fun trip! I'm so glad JT and Trisha invited us to go along with them! I love exploring all that Texas has to offer. I have found a new love for Austin and "keeping it weird." We will definitely go back!
![]() |
| The really really really really tall spiral ceiling makes you do as in middle picture.... |
I don't think I am very shy about my love (ok- obsession) with good pizza, which is why when we went to Homeslice and I discovered very Jersey-like pizza I was estatic. I just got classic cheese and I was very satisfied with the thin, crispy crust, then perfectly melted and seasoned cheese that pulled as I took a bit, and the ability to fold it in half. So good. I will definitely go back there when we return to Austin (because we are definitely going back).
![]() |
| I love my Homeslice. |
Divine. Decadent. Blissful. Heaven-sent. That's the only way I can think of describing that glorious cupcake. Ah, so good. Tim and I shared the red velvet with cream cheese frosting-and you have to do the shot of fresh whipped cream into the cupcake-like-it's a literal MUST.
Seventh Stop: Torchy's Tacos
I was pretty dang full at this point but that didn't stop us from continuing the voyage! (Well, actually it stopped me a little since I didn't get a taco....but I had a bit of Tim's!) Now this place doesn't feature your typical Mexican taco....they have a lot of unique and interesting flavors all help inside a tortilla. Tim was kind of boring and got "The Democrat" which consisted of shredded beef barbocoa, topped with avocado, queso fresco, cilantro, onions, and a wedge of lime. Pretty normal. JT got the 2-but the one that I think I would try next time would be "The Trailer Park." This place was pretty cool, lots of interesting options, but I wouldn't make this a mandatory stop.
Eighth Stop: Kerbey Lane Cafe
The only thing we got here was a queso platter and it was pretty good! I love queso. This queso was a little different though in that it had guacamole on the bottom and pico de gallo on top. I was a little dissappointed with the chips-homemade but baked-BAKED!? COME ON! REALLY!? WHO WANTS BAKED CHIPS WITH THEIR QUESO!? Well...I guess a lot of the ultra picky eaters of Austin do. At least we keep in real in San Antone! Like I said before, this place was good (all we had was the queso) but I wouldn't make it a mandatory stop.
Ninth Stop: Lick
Quite a delightful little organic/home-grown ice cream shop...with some very interesting flavors! You should check out their menu! I love ice cream, I'm a little obsessed in fact. This place was very fun (I wish I could've tried all the flavors!), but on the spendy side and small portion side. But I would go again!
![]() |
| We shared a triple scoop of Peppermint Bark, Caramel Salt Lick, and Orange Chocolate. Mm mm! |
Boy did we need a food break. We found a park and some picnic tables and played some spicy farkel! I totally won, no big deal or anything.
| Don't these "recycled" trees remind you of The Lorax? |
To end the food extravaganza why not stop a place claiming to have the best bbq in Texas? They do an all-you-can-eat meat/sides thing but we were all too stuffed to do that. Tim and I just shared a small plate where you got to try a bunch of different meat. To be honest, I'm not the biggest Texas bbq fan *gasp!* I hate smoked meat, and that is the majority of what their bbq is. Bleh. It tastes like nail polish remover to me. Nasty. But I did love the ribs! Mm mm! The sides are pretty darn lame (plain vinegary coleslaw, simple potato salad, and plain beans). Not too impressive. But it had a fun atmosphere we really enjoyed. We probably would go back there...but I'd be ok if we didn't.
![]() |
| Check out dat meat pit! |










I think it was such a fun idea to do this. I think I will add this to my 'to do while living in TX' list.
ReplyDeleteI knew I shouldn't have looked at this post.... It all looks delicious!! What a fun trip. :) :) :)
ReplyDeleteWait ... did you go to all these places in one day?? That's amazing!! I'm so glad you go to go to a Buc-ee's ... they're magical.
ReplyDeleteFunny enough, I've never been to Austin! Michael is headed down there in a few weeks for an interview ... you should let me know if there are any cool places he should go!
WHAAAAA Michael is coming out soon?? When?? We would love to visit him in Austin! I wish you were coming too!!!! Man.
DeleteAnd we did go to all of them in one day....it was delicious....and quite exhausting. haha. Next time you come out to TX we should have a mini trip together in Austin! Do you know when your next trip down here is going to be?